{The List]} Updated Regional and City Menu Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modo44 -

Set a limit to the amount of categories along the top?
    and set the order, I dont see why not of having the aerial view

Brent-

The only problem I could forsee is the limit of new city names.
    I have found out that you ccan only name so much yourself, where if you let the AI do it's New _ _ _ _ , after every name of a city that is in existance, then its New New...
    anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

They don't get a second "new" in Civ3. You go:

Washington,
      New Washington,
      Washington 2

So I guess it would be Washington 3 if you make so many. But if the number of cities in the game would be increased, I guess they would just make a longer list of the names.

Brent, the idea of using regions, the way I would want it, is the possibility of having many more cities in the game. Especially the small ones that simply aren't covered in Civ3. Kind of like small planets in Master of Orion, that I often didn't bother colonizing prior to MOO3, because of the micromanagement involved. They would be incorporated in regions to help the AI and the player keep track of what is happening in the empire. What it would require, however, is a good AI that does the city-by-city micromanagement, so that a player needs to do only a minimum of it (i.e. at the start, when every choice has a huge impact on the game).
      Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

I quess its been a while since I had that many cities

Comment

Any discussion on what else should be in the Regional menu other than what Modo44 has sugeested?

Comment

I guess this is one of those ideas that I really want, but there's not much to say about it.

Comment

Nikolai suggested I should post here, though this is a suggestion regarding the map as well as the city view:

When entering the city view by clicking a city on the map I would like to feel if I zoomed into the city and gradually saw more details of it (houses, improvements etc.) and when exiting zooming out to the main map view, all seamlessly. The city view of civ1 could be as a working example, but with nice integration with the main map.

Edit - copied the suggestion to replace the link, as requested
              Last edited by Al'Kimiya; November 18, 2004, 23:25.
              får jag köpa din syster? tre kameler för din syster!

Comment

Sounds like a reasonable thing to do with the fancy graphics they insist on, but it sounds like it might take a little longer than if it didn't do this, so it should be togglable.

Comment

Al'Kimiya

could I bother you to copy what have in your other post and edit that to replace the thread link?

Thread Master PLATYPUS REX

Comment

I'd also like to think about some levels of national management, which would introduce alot of simplicity. There is already a precedent for it in the Ministers, but I think maybe adding some ministers and expanding their role would really reduce micromanagement.

For instance, the Minister of Labour could replace the current worker model with a national workforce of some sort to do tile improvements. I think this would be a better solution than regional workforces, because that's still alot of micromanagement. You could manage the entire national workforce as a whole from the Labour Ministry, if you had to really manage it at all. Tile improvements you could just do with a right click on the the tile you want to work, limited in some fashion by the manpower available in your workforce.
                    Railroad Capacity - Version 2

Comment

Same as the CTP Public Works system...

Comment

No, not the Ctp public works system. I know you're obsessed that Civ4 be CtP, but I'm pretty sure it won't be. Borrowing ideas is different from duplicating them. Ctp wasn't a popular game outside a core crowd for alot of reasons, and one of them was the PW system.

In the national workforce system I'm proposing, doing work will be like Ctp, but building workforce won't. I want to keep workers. They'll just become part of a national pool, rather than units. You'll still build them and lose a citizen. I hate the idea of using the slider for anything other than taxes, luxury, and science. Also such a model doesn't account for manpower or medieval lords receiving free labour in tribute from serfs.
                        Railroad Capacity - Version 2

Comment

Originally posted by frekk
                          No, not the Ctp public works system. I know you're obsessed that Civ4 be CtP, but I'm pretty sure it won't be. Borrowing ideas is different from duplicating them. Ctp wasn't a popular game outside a core crowd for alot of reasons, and one of them was the PW system.
                          I'm quite sure it won't be also. I don't know where you're getting the impression that I think it will be.

In the national workforce system I'm proposing, doing work will be like Ctp, but building workforce won't. I want to keep workers. They'll just become part of a national pool, rather than units. You'll still build them and lose a citizen. I hate the idea of using the slider for anything other than taxes, luxury, and science. Also such a model doesn't account for manpower or medieval lords receiving free labour in tribute from serfs.
                          The main component of the Public Works system was the very fact that there weren't really Worker units. However you gather the workforce points, that's still a common theme. You said yourself that CTP wasn't popular with Public Works contributing to that, but do you think the reason it wasn't popular was merely because the way the pool of labor was determined?

You're obviously entitled to disagree, but I think the reason PW wasn't very popular was because the units were eliminated.

Comment

So maybe call this the Regional/ National city menu

I like frekks ideas about the national system, I would not want to do this region by region. One less interface

They old saying......KISS
                            Keep it Short Simple

Comment

Originally posted by Trip You said yourself that CTP wasn't popular with Public Works contributing to that, but do you think the reason it wasn't popular was merely because the way the pool of labor was determined?
                              For a long time, I also thought that PW is superior in every way. Until I learned (I play Civ very often, but CTP only for once in a while) that you can misuse PW in this way: You transport one settler to another continent, found a city, and you can immediately build as many roads and other improvements as you like, though you only have a size 1 city there. (If that was corrected somehow, PW should replace the old system.)

Comment

Be able to specify to your governors specific favorite construction projects and specific things to never build.

Comment

Working...
                                X